4 oz (1/2 cup) (118 ml) egg whites
8 oz ( 1 cup) (225 gr) granulated sugar
12 oz (3 sticks) (336 gr) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
Pinch of salt
- Combine the egg whites, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl and place over simmering water.
- Continuously beating with a whisk, heat until egg whites are hot and all the sugar is dissolved (~140 degrees). If the sugar is not completely melted, your final product will be grainy, so make sure!
- Remove from the heat and place on the mixer. Whisk on medium speed until meringue is stiff, and the mixing bowl is cool to the touch. The meringue will be white with a bright sheen, and very sticky!
- Switch to the paddle attachment, and on medium speed add the butter a few cubes at a time. Please note, if the meringue is not completely cool, the butter will melt instead of combining evenly.
- Continue beating until all the butter is incorporated. At one point it may appear as if the mixture has â��brokenâ��, looking watery and separated like curdled milk. Continue mixingâ�¦it will all come together, I promise!
- Increase speed to high, and beat until smooth.
- Add flavorings of your choice and tint with coloring paste.
Serving: Makes about 8 cups
- 2 1/4 Cups sugar
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 Pounds (6 sticks) unsalted butter, softened (1 pound = 454 gram)
- 9 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Make caramel: Combine 1 1/4 cups sugar and 1/2 cup water in medium saucepan; bring to boil over medium-high heat. Brush down sides with damp pastry brush to prevent crystallization. Continue cooking, without stirring, until dark amber color. Remove from heat; slowly stir in cream with wooden spoon until completely smooth; set aside until cool to touch.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until fluffy and pale. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Whisk together remaining 1 cup sugar and egg whites in clean bowl of mixer. Set over pot of simmering water; whisk gently until completely dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer bowl to mixer stand. Using whisk attachment, beat on medium speed until fluffy and cooled, about 10 minutes. Increase speed to high; whisk until stiff peaks form. Reduce speed to medium-low; add butter 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Whisk in vanilla.
- Switch to paddle. Add caramel; beat on lowest speed 3 to 5 minutes. Leave at room temperature if using same day. Refrigerate in airtight container up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature; beat until smooth.